An Old Midlish Rhyme
The wind from the North sings of heroes of Olde
The wind from the East makes our blood run Cold
The wind from the South smells of Spices and Gold
But the wind from the West tells of warriors Bold.

Sunday, April 24, 2011

Sorting the Subjects - Thracians

When I hauled my Thracians put last week, I was reminded that the units were looking a little battered. This seemed as good a time as any to sort them. 

First order of business was to remove the figures from their various basing systems. About 1/2 were on 60mm x 60mm 6 man elements, 1/4 individually based on 20mm x 20mm bases and the rest on old WRG 3rd-6th ed bases with a mix of 1, 2 or 3 figures per base, 20mm wide per figure but 30mm deep. 

Once that was done, I stripped out figures with helmets or thureos. That left me with about 72 figures. Subtracting broken figures brought that down to about 60.  I considered a unit of javelin armed skirmishers but the need there is for Greeks not Thracians. Since these are RAFM multi-part figures, I decided to haul out the most suitable figures and re-head them with bare heads or petasos. That left me with 2 24 man units. For the last 25 or so years, my Rospak Thracians have been mixed in with my Ral Partha, RAFM and Corvus figures. I decided that it was time to separate them into two distinct units, 24 figures each. The remaining 24 figures, including a number of broken spear Rospak plastics, have been put aside as spare parts.   

Mixed Corvus, Ral Partha & RAFM Thracians
  Rospak hard plastic Thracians.
While I was at in, I sorted out and based up 2 4 man stands of archers and 1 of slingers. The rest, mostly RAFM multi-part figures have gone into the spares box.


Various RAFM figures with Thracian caps.


6 comments:

  1. A good job done I think.My particular rebasing chaps are my syw Minfigs from university days who were orginally basd for wrg and have been through myriad single and multibase options since...
    Alan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ross

    Looking good. Your thracians have aged much better than my Spartans!
    Peter

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to think about doing the same thing to Jef's collection (his Romans and Greeks). So much to do, so little time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Peter, You need to get your Spartans out and exercise the,!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rob, Are you going to do them as big battle DBA? I think there may be some auxiliary cavalry that originally served me in there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've nominated you for the Stylish Blogger Award.

    To accept -
    1) provide a link back to the nominating blogger and his/her blog.
    2) Tell us seven things about yourself.
    3) Nominate another blog/blogger (or several) for the award.
    4) Notify those bloggers.

    Take part or cultivate a patrician disdain, either are valid options.

    ReplyDelete